Outcomes-focused Policy Making in Scotland: a policy making guide focused on the SDGs and NPF
Scotland's International Development Alliance has co-created a new Scottish policy making guide focused on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the National Performance Framework (NPF). The guide supports holistic policy making that reflects our interconnected world & addresses the need to better navigate its complexities
The resource is the result of a partnership between the Scottish Government's National Performance Framework team, the International Development Education Association of Scotland (IDEAS) Network, Scotland’s International Development Alliance, the SDG Network Scotland and Oxfam Scotland. The partnership was initiated, supported and funded by the Bridge 47 – Building Global Citizenship project and special thanks go to Northern Star Associates for their work developing the content.
What is the resource?
- The National Performance Framework (NPF) is Scotland’s way of localising the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The 17 different goals and 11 NPF National Outcomes are key measures of how Scotland can move towards a more just and sustainable future.
- The resource has two main parts. The first half features a general overview of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Scotland’s National Performance Framework (NPF) and how the two are interlinked. The second half provides practical, interactive activities to explore how to apply the NPF and SDGs in the policy making process.
Why is this resource important?
- Policy is a mechanism for creating change. Ensuring that the policy produced in Scotland is inclusive and takes a holistic view of systemic problems will have a positive impact for both people and planet.
- This resource comes at a critical juncture. The Covid-19 pandemic has emphasised local-global interconnections and the difficulties posed by complex global problems. They require us to be holistic in our policy making and understand we are part of a bigger system, where the decisions we make and the actions we take have an impact on others locally and globally, now and in the future.
How was the resource created?
- The guide was co-created by a partnership between the NPF team at the Scottish Government and civil society stakeholders including the SDG Network Scotland, Scotland’s International Development Alliance and the EU project, Bridge 47.
- The development of the resource was funded through the Bridge 47 – Building Global Citizenship project, which is based at the International Development Education Association of Scotland (IDEAS) network.
- As a project, Bridge 47 supports building partnerships across different sectors with the aim of raising awareness of the SDGs and the transformative power of education as outlined in SDG Target 4.7.
Scotland's International Development Alliance Strategic Plan 2017-2020
This strategic plan sets out the new direction of The Alliance and what it hopes to achieve by 2020.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Guide
A guide to improve knowledge, increase confidence and success in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
A basic introduction to logframes
Writing a logframe well is a necessary skill for anyone in the international development sector. Some donors request them as part of their funding application process.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning for Beginners
This paper is for those new to Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) and want to increase their knowledge.
A Quick Guide to Theory of Change
Theories of Change are essentially about how we think that change happens. It is nearly always a mix of evidence and assumptions.
Partnerships are essential to our work but what makes a good partnership? This guide looks at best practice in developing, sustaining and disbanding partnerships.
There is a need for organisations working in the fields of development and humanitarian action to continually see if there are better solutions to the problems they are working with local communities to address.
Introduction to Fundraising
Fundraising is important for every organisation. This guide is an introduction to fundraising as well as a good practice guide.
Climate Change Bill Consultation Joint Submission
A joint submission to the Climate Change Bill Consultation from Oxfam Scotland, Christian Aid Scotland, SCIAF & Tearfund Scotland.
LGBT+ Inclusion in International Development Programming
A checklist for UK Aid Connect proposals that can help ensure LGBT+ communities do not continue to be left behind.
ODI Report - The politics of the results agenda in DFID: 1997-2017
In this report the ODI analyse how and why the results agenda emerged. Their primary focus is on the politics of the story, how it has intersected with DFID's management, and the response to these changes. They ask whether DFID's results management is fit for purpose; that is, does it reflect the UK's development ambitions?
DFID budget template for overhead costs
The Department for International Development (DFID) has developed a new standard budget template available for use from June 2019. It takes a standard format for capturing direct costs and overheads.
Members Guide to Accessing Funds Online
Funds Online is an extensive online database compiling over 8,000 sources of funding for organisations and individuals, from grant-making charities, companies and statutory providers. This guide explains how Alliance members can access this database.
Thematic Discussion: Disability
Presentations from the thematic discussions about disability with DFID and the Big Lottery Fund.
Lobbying Register Guidance
From Monday 12 March 2018 all regulated lobbying in Scotland, as defined in the Lobbying (Scotland) Act, will have to be registered on Scotland’s new Lobbying Register. You can find all related guidance and documentation here.
EU-AFRICA RELATIONS: STRATEGIES FOR A RENEWED PARTNERSHIP
Friends of Europe launches a major new report examining the strategies for a renewed partnership that tackles the changing geopolitical, development, social and economic challenges facing Africa and Europe.
Value for Money Paper
This paper tries to explain the very first principles associated with this term using both “formal” and “informal” resources hopefully helping you to start engaging with the concept and start answering simple value for money questions.
Scottish Government Main Grants Rwanda Zambia Feedback Session Notes
Scottish Government Main Grants Rwanda Zambia Feedback Session Notes
Welcome Letter to Secretary of State for International Development
This letter offers congratulations to the new Secretary of State for International Development.
Handy Hints - Fundraising
A four part series of guides developed by Helen Harvey about realising the potential of crowdfunding, corporate support, in-kind/pro-bono support and individual donors.
Safeguarding & Whistleblowing Example Policies
A range of example safeguarding and whistleblowing policies for organisations to read, review and adapt to individual contexts.
The Effectiveness Toolkit enables an organisation to review its work both against a set of principles of good practice in international development and benchmarks of good operational practice.
Scottish Government Small Grants Information for Applicants 2018
Information for Scottish Government Small Grants Programme applicants for the 2018 funding round.
The International Fair Trade Charter
How the Global Fair Trade Movement works to transform trade in order to achieve justice, equity and sustainability for people and planet.
Safeguarding Research Summary
This report provides the analysis of a small research project conducted by the Scottish Government and Scotland’s International Development Alliance with stakeholders in the international development sector.
Developing a Safeguarding Policy
This is a tool to help organisations develop their own safeguarding policies.
Top tips for better blogging
Top tips for better blogging from Susan Smith, Editor, Third Force News (TFN).
Leaving no-one behind in emergencies
CBM gave a presentation about practical ways to ensure humanitarian responses are inclusive.
Transparency & IATI resources
Transparency helps to improve effectiveness, accountability and trust in the international development and aid sector. This resource page signposts different places across the internet to gain support on organisational transparency and publishing your data to IATI.
Climate Justice Innovation Fund Information Session 2019
A Climate Justice Innovation (CJI) Fund information session was held by the fund managers Corra Foundation in Edinburgh on 26 June 2019.