Information about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is being closely monitored by Scotland’s International Development Alliance, and we are working with our members to scope the nature of the challenge that it presents to the sector.
Please see below a list of official information below about COVID-19:
- Scottish Government’s information about ‘Coronavirus in Scotland’ (updated daily at 14:00)
- UK Government’s ‘Coronavirus (COVID-19) what you need to know'
- WHO latest updates on the ‘Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak’
- Health Protection Scotland ‘Covid-19 Guidance for Non-healthcare settings’
- The UK Government’s ‘COVID-19: guidance for employers and businesses’
Information about charities and COVID-19:
From the regulators
- OSCR has published an update from the regulator about COVID-19 covering a number of frequently asked questions
- The Charity Commission for England & Wales has updated its news item 'Coronavirus: what to report and how' and issued guidance for the charity sector on 19 March
- Corra Foundation a fund manager for Scottish Government grants has issued a blog with reassurance on the impact of coronavirus on charities and groups
- The UK Department for International Development (DFID) has released COVID-19 supplier partner communications, aims to circulate a weekly FAQ and has set up a dedicated email address if suppliers or partners have any general questions or issues, PCDsuppliercovid19@dfid.gov.uk
- DFID has funded four organisations though the H2H network (Internews, BBC Media Action, Evidence Aid and Translators without Borders) to improve access to quality information. Sign up to receive the newsletter and view back issues online. If you have any questions, requests for resources, or feedback you can email Internews at any time at COVIDemail@example.com
- SCVO’s Coronavirus (COVID-19)- information & guidance includes details of the Scottish Government's £20m Third Sector Resilience Fund which opened on the 25th March 2020
- ACOSVO is providing peer support for chief executives and senior leaders, see their Coronavirus (COVID-19) page.
- Bond’s information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) for NGOs includes a list of further resources
- NCVO’s ‘Your organisation and coronavirus’ page
Other informative resources:
- ACAS’ information ‘coronavirus: advice for employers and employees’
- CIPD's 'Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for UK employers
Finance and operations
- The Charity Finance Group have published a practical guide to 'coronavirus and your charity'
- The Small Charities Coalition shared a special bulletin about Coronavirus (COVID-19) including a series of questions for small charities and links to risk assessment templates, and are developing a COVID-19 setof guidance and resources
- The Blavatnik School of Government at Oxford University has compiled a COVID-19 Government Response Tracker
- Save the Children have launched an online course 'The COVID-19 Learning Pathway' on the free learning platform Kaya, to support humanitarians’ responses during this crisis, covering a number of critical topics, including Public Health, Child Protection and Gender/Equality.
- CDAC the Communicating with Disaster Affected Communities network has published a resource list on COVID-19 covering health, communications and community engagement
- ALNAP have created a COVID-19 response portal
- BBC Media Action's top ten tips for media in the COVID-19 'info-demic'
- Doctors of the World has published Coronavirus information including the latest NHS guidance in 34 languages
- Translators without Borders global response to COVID-19
- A blog about coronavirus comms for charities by Madeleine Sugden an independent consultant, contains some comms tips and examples of coronavirus communications
- The Fundraising Regulator for England & Wales has published a blog giving fundraising events advice
- The Institute of Fundraising has issued information for fundraisers about coronavirus
In the first instance, if you have any queries about a donor funded project and the impact of COVID-19, we advise that you speak directly with the donor or fund manager in the first instance.
If you have any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This page will be updated regularly.
Scotland's International Development Alliance Strategic Plan 2017-2020
This strategic plan sets out the new direction of The Alliance and what it hopes to achieve by 2020.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Guide
A guide to improve knowledge, increase confidence and success in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
A basic introduction to logframes
Writing a logframe well is a necessary skill for anyone in the international development sector. Some donors request them as part of their funding application process.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning for Beginners
This paper is for those new to Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) and want to increase their knowledge.
A Quick Guide to Theory of Change
Theories of Change are essentially about how we think that change happens. It is nearly always a mix of evidence and assumptions.
Partnerships are essential to our work but what makes a good partnership? This guide looks at best practice in developing, sustaining and disbanding partnerships.
There is a need for organisations working in the fields of development and humanitarian action to continually see if there are better solutions to the problems they are working with local communities to address.
Introduction to Fundraising
Fundraising is important for every organisation. This guide is an introduction to fundraising as well as a good practice guide.
Climate Change Bill Consultation Joint Submission
A joint submission to the Climate Change Bill Consultation from Oxfam Scotland, Christian Aid Scotland, SCIAF & Tearfund Scotland.
LGBT+ Inclusion in International Development Programming
A checklist for UK Aid Connect proposals that can help ensure LGBT+ communities do not continue to be left behind.
ODI Report - The politics of the results agenda in DFID: 1997-2017
In this report the ODI analyse how and why the results agenda emerged. Their primary focus is on the politics of the story, how it has intersected with DFID's management, and the response to these changes. They ask whether DFID's results management is fit for purpose; that is, does it reflect the UK's development ambitions?
DFID budget template for overhead costs
The Department for International Development (DFID) has developed a new standard budget template available for use from June 2019. It takes a standard format for capturing direct costs and overheads.
Members Guide to Accessing Funds Online
Funds Online is an extensive online database compiling over 8,000 sources of funding for organisations and individuals, from grant-making charities, companies and statutory providers. This guide explains how Alliance members can access this database.
Thematic Discussion: Disability
Presentations from the thematic discussions about disability with DFID and the Big Lottery Fund.
Lobbying Register Guidance
From Monday 12 March 2018 all regulated lobbying in Scotland, as defined in the Lobbying (Scotland) Act, will have to be registered on Scotland’s new Lobbying Register. You can find all related guidance and documentation here.
EU-AFRICA RELATIONS: STRATEGIES FOR A RENEWED PARTNERSHIP
Friends of Europe launches a major new report examining the strategies for a renewed partnership that tackles the changing geopolitical, development, social and economic challenges facing Africa and Europe.
Value for Money Paper
This paper tries to explain the very first principles associated with this term using both “formal” and “informal” resources hopefully helping you to start engaging with the concept and start answering simple value for money questions.
Scottish Government Main Grants Rwanda Zambia Feedback Session Notes
Scottish Government Main Grants Rwanda Zambia Feedback Session Notes
Welcome Letter to Secretary of State for International Development
This letter offers congratulations to the new Secretary of State for International Development.
Handy Hints - Fundraising
A four part series of guides developed by Helen Harvey about realising the potential of crowdfunding, corporate support, in-kind/pro-bono support and individual donors.
Safeguarding & Whistleblowing Example Policies
A range of example safeguarding and whistleblowing policies for organisations to read, review and adapt to individual contexts.
Effectiveness Toolkit and MOT
The Effectiveness Toolkit enables an organisation to review its work both against a set of principles of good practice in international development and benchmarks of good operational practice.
Scottish Government Small Grants Information for Applicants 2018
Information for Scottish Government Small Grants Programme applicants for the 2018 funding round.
The International Fair Trade Charter
How the Global Fair Trade Movement works to transform trade in order to achieve justice, equity and sustainability for people and planet.
Safeguarding Research Summary
This report provides the analysis of a small research project conducted by the Scottish Government and Scotland’s International Development Alliance with stakeholders in the international development sector.
Developing a Safeguarding Policy
This is a tool to help organisations develop their own safeguarding policies.
Top tips for better blogging
Top tips for better blogging from Susan Smith, Editor, Third Force News (TFN).
Leaving no-one behind in emergencies
CBM gave a presentation about practical ways to ensure humanitarian responses are inclusive.
Transparency & IATI resources
Transparency helps to improve effectiveness, accountability and trust in the international development and aid sector. This resource page signposts different places across the internet to gain support on organisational transparency and publishing your data to IATI.
Climate Justice Innovation Fund Information Session 2019
A Climate Justice Innovation (CJI) Fund information session was held by the fund managers Corra Foundation in Edinburgh on 26 June 2019.
SCVO's Good Governance Checkup
SCVO have created a Good Governance Checkup document to be used in conjunction with the Scotland Governance Code for the third sector to help trustees regularly review their governance.
TrustLaw's legal health check for NGOs and social enterprises
The Thomson Reuters Foundation has developed a Legal Health Check to assist NGOS and social enterprises identify some of their operational legal needs.
Preparing for Brexit
Brexit and the possibility of a no deal has a number of serious implications for the sector, however, there are a number of things that you can do to be prepared. Whether your organisation has EU funds or not, Brexit is creating a level of uncertainty that will affect your programme delivery and you will need to consider the implications of Brexit for your organisation. We have collected a number of websites and resources to help you prepare for Brexit.
Scottish Government Small Grants Information Session 2019
A Scottish Government International Development small grants information session was held by the fund manager the Corra Foundation in Edinburgh on 11 September 2019.
Members Guide to Accessing TrustLaw
We have partnered with TrustLaw to facilitate free legal assistance for social enterprises and NGOs that we support. TrustLaw is a global programme of Thomson Reuters Foundation that connects the world's leading legal teams to provide free legal assistance to organisations working for social and environmental change. This guide explains how Alliance members can access this service.
Good Governance Support Package
This guide aims to improve your understanding and help you strengthen the governance structures of your organisation. It covers the basics of setting up and governing a Scottish charity, finance, people and broader organisational responsibilities which trustees are responsible for, including safeguarding and risk mitigation. The guide was produced in collaboration with SCVO.
Bond's Putting the People in the Pictures First
Bond's People in the Pictures Group have produced ethical guidelines for the collection and use of content covering images and stories. It builds on existing ethical content guidelines by Dóchas and CONCORD's code of conduct on images and messages.
Working towards the Global Goals
‘Working towards the Global Goals’ provides detailed insight into our members’ contributions to sustainable development across the world. Published only a month before the world enters the ‘decade of delivery’ for the ambitious UN 2030 Agenda, the report demonstrates a far reaching and impactful international development sector in Scotland. It reveals that organisations with direct links to Scotland have projects in over 100 countries and contribute to all 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Improving Policy Coherence in Scotland: Wiki
This open and editable wiki is a resource for individuals and organisations interested in improving policy coherence in Scotland. It is a shared and open space for developing understanding on policy coherence issues, suggesting solutions, tracking progress and stimulating debate.
Information about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is being closely monitored by Scotland’s International Development Alliance, please see a list of resources offering further information and advice.
Risk mapping and risk registers
The risks that each organisation and project face will be unique. Here are some helpful resources to help you think about risk more strategically.