Information about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is being closely monitored by Scotland’s International Development Alliance, and we are working with our members to scope the nature of the challenge that it presents to the sector. This resources list covers various themes and topics including: advice from donors and funders, legal and employment FAQs, communication, remote working and fundraising resources.
Please see below a list of official information about COVID-19:
- Scottish Government’s information about ‘Coronavirus in Scotland’ (updated daily at 14:00)
- The Coronavirus (Scotland) Act 2020 Guidance for Stakeholders which was published and came into force on Tuesday 7 April
- UK Government’s ‘Coronavirus (COVID-19) what you need to know'
- WHO latest updates on the ‘Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak’
- NHS Inform Scotland Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- NHS Coronavirus (COVID-19) page
- Johns Hopkins University has a resource centre on Coronavirus and an international case tracker
- Health Protection Scotland ‘Covid-19 Guidance for Non-healthcare settings’
- The UK Government’s ‘COVID-19: guidance for employers and businesses’
Information about charities and COVID-19:
From the regulators
- OSCR has published an update from the regulator about COVID-19 covering a number of frequently asked questions, as well as holding a webinar about Coronavirus and charities and issuing a guidance document about Covid-19 for charities on 30 March
- The Charity Commission for England & Wales has updated its news item 'Coronavirus: what to report and how' and issued guidance for the charity sector on 19 March
If you have any queries about a donor-funded project and the impact of COVID-19, we advise that you speak directly with the donor or fund manager in the first instance.
- Corra Foundation a fund manager for Scottish Government grants has issued a blog with reassurance on the impact of coronavirus on charities and groups and issued £500 microgrants to existing grantees
- The UK Department for International Development (DFID) has:
- released COVID-19 supplier partner communications, published an FAQ document, and set up a dedicated email address if suppliers or partners have any general questions or issues, PCDsuppliercovid19@dfid.gov.uk.
- The International Development Secretary wrote to partners on the 1 May setting out support to keep critical aid programmes running.
- Funded four organisations though the H2H network (Internews, BBC Media Action, Evidence Aid, and Translators without Borders) to improve access to quality information. Sign up to receive the newsletter and view back issues online. If you have any questions, requests for resources, or feedback you can email Internews at any time at COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Commissioned rapid evidence reviews through the IDS K4D helpdesk which has set up a Covid-19 resource hub which issues a daily Covid-19 health evidence summary
- Mannion Daniels the fund manager for DFID's UK Aid Direct has created a COVID-19 resource portal on the UK Aid Direct website
- The Scottish Funding Council has created a dedicated COVID-19 webpage for universities including FAQs
- SCVO’s Coronavirus (COVID-19)- information & guidance includes details of the Scottish Government's £20m Third Sector Resilience Fund which opened on the 25 March 2020
- ACOSVO is providing peer support for chief executives and senior leaders in Scotland, see their Coronavirus (COVID-19) page
- Bond’s information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) for NGOs includes a list of further resources, and informative blogs including three ideas to communicate sensitively in the Covid-19 crisis, adapting your public fundraising and tips for NGO leaders
- UKCDR have created a COVID-19 Research project tracker to make visible a live database of funded development research projects
- NCVO’s ‘Your organisation and coronavirus’ page is relevant for charities operating in England & Wales
- Civicus has produced a guidance document for 'civil society in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic'
- Concord has created a set of COVID-19 support resources relevant for development NGOs operating in Europe
Other informative resources:
Legal & Employment
- CMS have provided answers to some legal FAQs relating to COVID-19 including employment, insurance and travel
- TrustLaw have launched a COVID-19 resource hub listing available legal resources and pro-bono support available to nonprofits and social enterprises
- ACAS’ information ‘coronavirus: advice for employers and employees’
- CIPD's 'Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for UK employers'
- Humentum have created a COVID-19 Solutions hub collecting blogs, free webinars, and free consultations
- The Charity Finance Group have published a practical guide to 'coronavirus and your charity'
- Good Finance has published a COVID-19 resources hub for charities and social enterprises
- The Charity Tax Group is publishing coronavirus informtion frequently
Programmes, partnerships & operations
- The Blavatnik School of Government at Oxford University has compiled a COVID-19 Government Response Tracker
- Southern Voice have developed a digital knowledge hub on COVID-19 in the Global South compiling research on Africa, Asia and Latin America about the impacts of the pandemic
- The Partnering Initiative has set up a free COVID-19 helpdesk aimed at helping those navigating setting up a new partnership to work on COVID-19
- The Small Charities Coalition shared a special bulletin about Coronavirus (COVID-19) including a series of questions for small charities and links to risk assessment templates, and are developing a COVID-19 set of guidance
- The Alliance held a training about risk management with Challenges Catalyst on 5 May and about change management on 26 August, you can view the resources and slides online or view the resources page for risk mapping and risk registers on our website
- The WHO has issued a guide to 'practical considerations and recommendations for religious leaders and faith-based communities in the context of COVID-19' which includes a risk assessment tool
- COVID-19 Humanitarian has been launched by Johns Hopkins, LSHTM and the Geneva Centre of Education and Research into Humanitarian Action to exchange COVID-19 programmes and innovations
- Save the Children have launched an online course 'The COVID-19 Learning Pathway' on the free learning platform Kaya, to support humanitarians’ responses during this crisis, covering a number of critical topics, including Public Health, Child Protection and Gender/Equality.
- CDAC the Communicating with Disaster Affected Communities network has published a resource list on COVID-19 covering health, communications and community engagement
- ALNAP have created a COVID-19 response portal
- The FCDO funded Disability Inclusion Helpdesk has published a number of resources including an evidence digest on COVID-19 and summary of the likely impacts and risks of COVID-19 for people with disabilities in humanitarian contexts
- Care have published analaysis of the gender implications of the COVID-19 outbreaks in development and humanitarian settings
- The IFRC, OCHA and WHO have produced a guide about COVID-19: How to include marginalized and vulnerable people in risk communication and community engagement
- The International Disability Alliance has a dedicated resource centre for COVID-19
- Source an international resource centre on disability and inclusion has a dedicated COVID-19 page
- CBM have produced a COVID-19 resource (pdf) with key messages, questions to ask about inclusion and a list of further resources
- Help Age International have published a COVID-19 page about age and inclusion in countries with less developed health systems
- Humanity & Inclusion has created a set COVID-19 resources around inclusion including briefings around inclusive digital learning
The Commonwealth Equality Network has published an informative report LGBTI+ in the Commonwealth in the COVID-19 Era
- The Safeguarding Resource & Support Hub has developed a COVID-19 resource library to ensure that the sector’s commitment to protect people from Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Harassment (SEAH) is not only maintained, but scaled up
The CHS Alliance has created a COVID-19 hub and published a blog about addressing safeguarding and SEAH in the Covid-19 response
For more information about Safeguarding please visit our Safer For All webpages
- BBC Media Action's top ten tips for media in the COVID-19 'info-demic' and handbook for the media (pdf)
- Doctors of the World has published Coronavirus information including the latest NHS guidance in 34 languages
- Translators without Borders global response to COVID-19 and online course delivered with Pyramid Learning about Coronavirus is availalble in 11 languages
- Internews have a set of resources about COVID-19 about information and media systems
- Evidence Aid have compiled an evidence collection about COVID-19 with plain-language summaries of high-quality research which are available in English, and translated into French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic and Chinese (simplified and traditional)
- Vital Strategy's COVID-19 Risk Communication Hub contains adaptable messages in multiple languages
- A blog about coronavirus comms for charities by Madeleine Sugden an independent consultant, contains some comms tips and examples of coronavirus communications
Digital & remote working
- The NCSC have published a set of top tips for staying secure online
- TechSoup have made their online course 'Pivoting to remote work- COVID-19 response course track for nonprofits' freely accessible
- The Catalyst have published a number of short practical guidance documents useful for those who are new to remote working and have a support library covering different aspects of digital for charities
- Nesta have crowdsourced a Coronavirus Tech Handbook which includes tips for remote working and tools for volunteering and charities
- Save the Children have created a short online course 'top tips for online learning' available through Kaya
- INASP have created a self-paced online course Facilitating Events and Courses in an Online World.
- The Fundraising Regulator for England & Wales and the IOF have published guidance on restarting fundraising after lockdown
- The Fundraising Regulator for England & Wales has published a blog giving fundraising events advice
- The Institute of Fundraising has issued information for fundraisers about coronavirus and a resource hub for COVID-19
- The Chartered Institute of Fundraising recently released a report on supporter engagement and fundraising in the time of COVID-19 with six tips
- Philanthropia have developed a free online course 'Fundraising in the time of coronavirus'
- For current fundraising opportunities, members can login to the website and check the funding updates section of our website which is updated frequently with opportunities from institutional donors and foundations, as well as our specific COVID-19 funding list
- Ian McLintock of the Charity Excellence Framework has collected a list of Emergency Funders
- The Directory of Social Change has collected a list of Coronavirus Funding Updates some of which are applicable to international work
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning
- The OECD DAC and UNDP have released a guidance document on good practice during COVID-19 for evaluation
- UNDP have released a video and infographic about evaluating during a crisis
- Better Evaluation are publishing a series on adpating evaluation to the current COVID-19 context, read part 1 about managing evaluations, part 2 about adapting evaluation and part 3
- Inspiring Impact have created a COVID-19 resource portal
- Mercy Corps have published guidance on remote MERL
- MERL Tech have published 8 ways to adapt your M&E During the COVID-19 pandemic
- A crowdsourced document initiated by Deborah Lupton contains advice on doing fieldwork in a pandemic
- IATI have issued guidance about how to publish COVID-19 data to the standard
To find a list of webinars and further online resources you can sign up to or access, please read our resources page entry for useful events we have picked out for members to save you the time of scouring the internet.
To find out more about the impact of COVID-19 on our members, please read our research briefing from April 2020 and the notes from a roundtable held with members on 14 April.
If you have any further questions or would like to submit a resource, please email email@example.com
*This page will be updated regularly.
Scotland's International Development Alliance Strategic Plan 2017-2020
This strategic plan sets out the new direction of The Alliance and what it hopes to achieve by 2020.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Guide
A guide to improve knowledge, increase confidence and success in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
A basic introduction to logframes
Writing a logframe well is a necessary skill for anyone in the international development sector. Some donors request them as part of their funding application process.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning for Beginners
This paper is for those new to Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) and want to increase their knowledge.
A Quick Guide to Theory of Change
Theories of Change are essentially about how we think that change happens. It is nearly always a mix of evidence and assumptions.
Partnerships are essential to our work but what makes a good partnership? This guide looks at best practice in developing, sustaining and disbanding partnerships.
There is a need for organisations working in the fields of development and humanitarian action to continually see if there are better solutions to the problems they are working with local communities to address.
Introduction to Fundraising
Fundraising is important for every organisation. This guide is an introduction to fundraising as well as a good practice guide.
Climate Change Bill Consultation Joint Submission
A joint submission to the Climate Change Bill Consultation from Oxfam Scotland, Christian Aid Scotland, SCIAF & Tearfund Scotland.
LGBT+ Inclusion in International Development Programming
A checklist for UK Aid Connect proposals that can help ensure LGBT+ communities do not continue to be left behind.
ODI Report - The politics of the results agenda in DFID: 1997-2017
In this report the ODI analyse how and why the results agenda emerged. Their primary focus is on the politics of the story, how it has intersected with DFID's management, and the response to these changes. They ask whether DFID's results management is fit for purpose; that is, does it reflect the UK's development ambitions?
DFID budget template for overhead costs
The Department for International Development (DFID) has developed a new standard budget template available for use from June 2019. It takes a standard format for capturing direct costs and overheads.
Members Guide to Accessing Funds Online
Funds Online is an extensive online database compiling over 8,000 sources of funding for organisations and individuals, from grant-making charities, companies and statutory providers. This guide explains how Alliance members can access this database.
Thematic Discussion: Disability
Presentations from the thematic discussions about disability with DFID and the Big Lottery Fund.
Lobbying Register Guidance
From Monday 12 March 2018 all regulated lobbying in Scotland, as defined in the Lobbying (Scotland) Act, will have to be registered on Scotland’s new Lobbying Register. You can find all related guidance and documentation here.
EU-AFRICA RELATIONS: STRATEGIES FOR A RENEWED PARTNERSHIP
Friends of Europe launches a major new report examining the strategies for a renewed partnership that tackles the changing geopolitical, development, social and economic challenges facing Africa and Europe.
Value for Money Paper
This paper tries to explain the very first principles associated with this term using both “formal” and “informal” resources hopefully helping you to start engaging with the concept and start answering simple value for money questions.
Scottish Government Main Grants Rwanda Zambia Feedback Session Notes
Scottish Government Main Grants Rwanda Zambia Feedback Session Notes
Welcome Letter to Secretary of State for International Development
This letter offers congratulations to the new Secretary of State for International Development.
Handy Hints - Fundraising
A four part series of guides developed by Helen Harvey about realising the potential of crowdfunding, corporate support, in-kind/pro-bono support and individual donors.
Safeguarding & Whistleblowing Example Policies
A range of example safeguarding and whistleblowing policies for organisations to read, review and adapt to individual contexts.
Effectiveness Toolkit and MOT
The Effectiveness Toolkit enables an organisation to review its work both against a set of principles of good practice in international development and benchmarks of good operational practice.
Scottish Government Small Grants Information for Applicants 2018
Information for Scottish Government Small Grants Programme applicants for the 2018 funding round.
The International Fair Trade Charter
How the Global Fair Trade Movement works to transform trade in order to achieve justice, equity and sustainability for people and planet.
Safeguarding Research Summary
This report provides the analysis of a small research project conducted by the Scottish Government and Scotland’s International Development Alliance with stakeholders in the international development sector.
Developing a Safeguarding Policy
This is a tool to help organisations develop their own safeguarding policies.
Top tips for better blogging
Top tips for better blogging from Susan Smith, Editor, Third Force News (TFN).
Leaving no-one behind in emergencies
CBM gave a presentation about practical ways to ensure humanitarian responses are inclusive.
Transparency & IATI resources
Transparency helps to improve effectiveness, accountability and trust in the international development and aid sector. This resource page signposts different places across the internet to gain support on organisational transparency and publishing your data to IATI.
Climate Justice Innovation Fund Information Session 2019
A Climate Justice Innovation (CJI) Fund information session was held by the fund managers Corra Foundation in Edinburgh on 26 June 2019.