Not one single country set to achieve gender equality by 2030
In light of the damning results of the new SDG Gender Index which found that no single country is on track to achieve gender equality by 2030, it is high time to stop paying lip service to this key developmental issue and focus on how to enact real, sustainable and meaningful change.
This year’s Alliance Annual Conference will be putting Gender Front and Centre to ask ourselves the question, “How can we make better progress for women and girls?”
Taking place at Glasgow Royal Concert Hall on Wednesday 25th September 2019, the conference will explore on a practical level what Scotland’s International Development community can do in order to make concrete steps towards advancing gender equality globally.
With an opening address from Scotland’s Minister for Europe, Migration and International Development, Ben Macpherson MSP, delegates will also hear from inspiring international keynote speakers, including Kenya-based Memory Kachambwa, Executive Director of the African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET) and Nigerian women’s rights activist, Olaoluwa Abagun.
The day will offer a range of engaging, participatory breakout sessions in both morning and afternoon sessions, giving you the chance to tailor the day according to your specific interests and area of expertise.
Confirmed session topics include:
- Tackling violence against women and girls (VAWG)
- Gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls throughout the humanitarian action cycle
- Improving educational outcomes for girls and women
- Untangling inequalities: power, intersectionality and approaches to programming
- A gender-sensitive approach to climate change
- Gender in the context of SDG8: access to full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Influencing policy makers on issues relating to gender justice
- Driving equality in our own workforces: Gender and leadership across the international development sector
The event is open to both members and non-members alike (with a special subsidised ticket price for members).
To ensure you don’t miss out, book your place today via Eventbrite.
The Alliance Annual Conference is YOUR event!
As well as providing an opportunity to share best practice, expand your network and discuss opportunities for collaboration, the Conference also provides a platform to showcase your own activities to others from the Alliance network – including funders.
Get in touch if you would like to find out more about the range of exhibition and sponsorship opportunities on offer, and/or if you’d like to take part in the Alliance Photo Competition 2019 – the winner of which will be announced at the conference!
Our 2019 Annual Conference is brought to you with the support of our headline sponsor, INTL FCStone.