VSO is an international development charity that fights poverty through volunteering and working in some of the poorest countries to make lasting change. We implement our range of health, education and livelihood programmes by working alongside a range of in-country partners including the communities we support, local government and civil society organisations.
We transform lives by recruiting, training and sending expert volunteers who work in partnership to share skills and bring positive long lasting change. We work in 24 countries to tackle poverty by putting people at the heart of development. We do this by:
• harnessing the energy and commitment of technical expert volunteers who bring benefits at local, national and global levels
• connecting professional volunteers to local partners to build human capital through skills, advice and mentoring
• supporting peer to peer youth volunteering to work on community projects
• linking national volunteers to work within their own communities to reach those most in need.
Our standard placements are for skilled professionals between the ages of 24-75 and last for between 12-24 months. Our specialist assignments are for leaders in their field and can last between 4 weeks and 6 months. We also have a volunteering programmes for 18-25 year olds; International Citizen Service. In Scotland VSO is involved with volunteer recruitment, advocacy, campaigning, fundraising and networks of local groups involving returned volunteers and other supporters. International volunteers can be recruited from any country.
Organisational member, E
Areas of Interest
- Education – General
- Health – General
- Papua New Guinea
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Tanzania, United Republic of