GEN International (Global Ecovillage Network)
The Global Ecovillage Network (GEN) was founded in 1995 to support human communities that sustain and regenerate their social and natural environments.
Ecovillages are rural or urban, intentional or traditional communities with vibrant social structures, vastly diverse, yet united in their actions towards low-impact, high-quality lifestyles.
Ecovillages are consciously designed through local participatory processes, integrating the four dimensions of sustainability (ecology, economy, the social and the cultural).
One of the most powerful resources available to humanity is the longing of citizens to become part of the solution instead of feeling that they are contributing to the problem.
GEN helps unleash this potential by showcasing pathways, solutions and best-practice examples for citizens and local communities to design their own future.
GEN builds bridges between policy-makers, academics, entrepreneurs and sustainable community networks across the globe in order to develop strategies for a global transition to resilient communities and cultures.
The Global Ecovillage Network envisions a world of empowered citizens and communities, designing and implementing their own pathways to a sustainable future, and building bridges of hope and international solidarity.
As a solution-based, multi-stakeholder alliance, GEN provides information, tools, examples and global representation to the expanding network of those dedicated to developing and demonstrating sustainability principles and practices in their lifestyles and communities around the world.
1. To advance the education of individuals from all walks of life by sharing the experience and best practices gained from the networks of ecovillages and sustainable communities worldwide.
2. To advance human rights, conflict resolution and reconciliation by empowering local communities globally while promoting a culture of mutual acceptance and respect, effective communications, and cross-cultural outreach.
3. To advance environmental protection globally by serving as a think tank, incubator, international partner organization and catalyst for projects that expedite the shift to sustainable and resilient lifestyles.
4. To advance active citizenship and community development by coordinating the activities of regional ecovillage networks and reaching out to wider society and policy makers in order to accelerate the transition to sustainable living.
• To provide information, tools, examples and representation to the expanding networks of those dedicated to developing and demonstrating sustainability principles and practices in their lifestyles and communities around the world
• To co-ordinate the activities of a number of regional ecovillage networks around the world
• To serve as an incubator and platform for international projects and initiatives that accelerate the shift to sustainable lifestyles and more resilient societies.
An ecovillage is an intentional or traditional community using local participatory processes to holistically integrate ecological, economic, social, and cultural dimensions of sustainability in order to regenerate social and natural environments.
Organisational member, B
Areas of Interest
- Advocacy and Campaigns
- Capacity Building
- Climate Change
- Community Development
- Economic Development
- Education – Development & Capacity Building
- Good Practice & Effectiveness
- Congo, The Democratic Republic of the
- South Africa