Safeguarding Leads/Focal Points
Many organisations designate the responsibility for aspects of safeguarding in their organisation. This is very helpful for ensuring that there is focused attention on safeguarding. However, this role can vary considerably depending on the size, staffing and type of organisation. In larger organisations this might be full time staff member(s) but is often additional responsibility on top of an existing role or in very small organisations can be a responsibility allocated to a trustee or volunteer.
This section brings together resources to support Safeguarding Leads/Focal Points in an organisation to clarify their role and expectations where needed, and also general practical tools for operationalising safeguarding.
- Bond’s resource Understanding Effective Safeguarding Culture is a tool for practitioners to help organisations understand the indicators and behaviours associated with safeguarding culture and how this can be operationalised. This contains the following sections:
- Policies and procedures
- Safer programming
- Survivor-centred approach
- Awareness raising
- Safer recruitment
- Defining Your Role Worksheet for Safeguarding Leads & Focal Points (word): from the Alliance, this was developed for individuals designated as those responsible for safeguarding within their organisation, to help them define and clarify roles and responsibilities for themselves and others in the organisation.
- Leads & Focal Points Action Planning Worksheet (pdf): from the Alliance, this simple template was developed for individuals designated as those responsible for safeguarding within their organisation, to help them review what actions need taking in their role.
- 20 Core Elements: A Toolkit to Strengthen Safeguarding Report-Handling: Bond’s reporting toolkit is a comprehensive guide to help organisations put together their own effective report-handling processes, and to produce an accompanying flowchart of their process.
- Case Studies to accompany Bond’s Report-Handling Toolkit
Safeguarding in Practice
Access practical tools, resources and training to help you in your own organisation