Work with Us
Want to be part of the Scotland's International Development Alliance staff team? We list all staff and volunteer vacancies on this page.
Finance & Administration Manager
Line manager: Chief Executive
Hours: 28 hours per week
Salary: £30,547 full time equivalent p.a., pro rata
Contract: Fixed term to 31 March 2020, extension likely dependent on funding.
About Scotland's International Development Alliance
With more than one hundred and thirty member organisations, Scotland’s International Development Alliance is the membership body for everyone committed to creating a fairer world, free from poverty, injustice and environmental threats. Our work facilitates connections across the international development sector to improve impact and effectiveness. Our network has a uniquely global reach, with members working in more than 140 countries with a wide range of specialisms. We exist to improve the capacity, influence and effectiveness of the sector in Scotland through providing opportunities for networking, debate, training and promotion of good practice. We help members share their skills and learn from each other’s best practice to boost effectiveness across the sector. We are seeking to recruit a Finance and Administration Manager to lead on providing support to our small staff team to enable this important work.
About the Role
Overall Purpose of the Job
The Finance and Administration Manager (FAM) will be responsible for the development and maintenance of robust financial and administrative systems and internal policies, and for ensuring the Alliance meets its reporting obligations as a registered Scottish charity. The main responsibility of the FAM is the management of the Alliance’s financial record keeping and reporting. This will include all book-keeping tasks, coordination of budgets and financial reporting to the CEO, Finance Sub Committee, and the Board of Trustees, and coordination with an external payroll bureau and pension provider, accountant and external examiner.
The role involves coordination with the Chief Executive on all matters relating to the Board of Trustees; management of human resource requirements for the organisation; and general office administration. It involves shared line management of the Communications & Administration Assistant.
Financial management and book-keeping
- Use of Quickbooks Online for all book-keeping tasks including production of customer invoices, processing and payment of supplier invoices, and reconciliation of bank accounts and company credit card;
- Production of quarterly management accounts for reporting to Board level;
- Coordination of quarterly Finance Sub Committee meetings;
- Production of reports as required by individual budget-holders;
- Preparation of annual accounts in liaison with accountant and external examiner;
- Assisting Chief Executive with creation of budgets and reports to funding bodies;
- Cashflow management and main point of contact for all bank accounts;
- Provision of timely information to payroll bureau and pension provider; ensuring compliance with auto-enrolment requirements;
- Handling any IATI requirements of funding from DfID
- Coordinating annual reporting to OSCR and Companies House.
Board and Governance
- Organisation of Board meetings (jointly with CEO); administration and minute-taking of Board meetings and AGMs;
- Maintaining Board records, ensuring compliance with governing documents and statutory responsibilities; raising issues with CEO or Chair of the Board as required;
- Assisting with Trustee recruitment and induction.
- Management and coordination of human resource requirements in liaison with the CEO;
- Administration and record keeping for human resources;
- Acting as appointed person for Health & Safety.
- General administration of Alliance office;
- Liaison with SCVO regarding management of lease and maintenance of office premises;
- Assisting with general enquiries from key stakeholders and the general public;
- Providing support to the rest of the team in coordinating training, networking and other events.
Line management responsibilities
- Joint Line management of Communications & Administration Assistant role, shared with the Effectiveness & Learning Advisor
The successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
- At least 2 years’ experience in book-keeping and financial administration, preferably for a charity;
- Confident IT skills, including use of Excel and book-keeping packages for production of financial reports;
- Experience of producing budgets, financial modelling and forecasting;
- An understanding of payroll and pension administration;
- Experience of general office administration;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Ability to manage own time and work to strict deadlines;
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and a strong team member.
- Working knowledge of Quickbooks Online financial management software;
- Experience of reporting to a Board of Trustees;
- Knowledge of current policies and procedures relevant to our sector, including Health & Safety at Work legislation and/or basic employment law;
- Knowledge of GDPR
- Knowledge of publishing to IATI
- Knowledge of international development.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete the Application Form and return it by email to email@example.com
CVs will not be accepted. All applicants will be asked to provide evidence of their right to work in the UK.
We are an equal opportunities employer. Office hours are 9am – 5pm, with some flexibility to fit part-time hours around other commitments of post-holder.
Closing date: Monday 24th September 2018
Become a Member
Find out about the many benefits to you, as an individual or an organisation, when you join Scotland's International Development Alliance.
Sponsoring us offers you a unique way of bringing your organisation to the attention of all members of Scotland’s International Development Alliance.
Join Our Team
Interested in working with us? We list all our paid and volunteering opportunities here.
Development Sector Vacancies
Find the latest international development vacancies in Scotland and beyond. Get in touch if you want to advertise.
List your business or organisation in our directory of consultants supporting the international development sector.