Using Video for More Effective Communication
Thursday, 31st January 2019
Venue: Surgeons' Hall, Edinburgh
Time: 09:30 - 16:30
Trainers: Dan Slee (comms2point0 Co-founder, former journalist and comms person) and Steven Davies (TV cameraman, Creative Director of Filmcafe Ltd. and academic)
What to bring: You'll need an Android or IOS smartphone or tablet (please note Windows and Blackberries aren't up to spec.)
Who is it for: This training will be particularly relevant for programme and M&E staff in wish to add video to their toolkit of reporting methods. Of course, Comms and Media staff will find this course equally as useful.
• An understanding of where video sits in the wider communications landscape and what best practice looks like,
• The ability to plan an effective video and get the most out of your device,
• The practical knowledge of how to shoot a basic interview with edits and cutaways, added text, royalty-free music and filters,
• An understanding of how to stay on the right side of GDPR and the optimum length of a video channel-by-channel.
• Slides and links to Royalty-free music
• A special video tutorial to watch again and replay.
• A practice video edited in Kinemaster.
Why you should attend:
Video is already the majority of the internet. What does this mean for international development? Are programme staff and communications teams visiting partners overseas equipped with the right skills and equipment to tell their stories? Most smartphones sold after 2014 can shoot broadcast-quality footage...
It is more important than ever that we communicate the work we do and the stories of its beneficiaries, more often and better. Video is a means to do just that by reaching new audiences and bringing case studies to life.
This training workshop for programme and communications staff alike, will give you the confidence to draft strategy, plan, shoot, edit and post effective video. It will also cover how to avoid 'poverty porn' and empower and enlist beneficiaries to help tell their story.
What previous participants said:
“The two facilitators were great, fun, informative and very energetic.”
“Best training event I've been to in a long time! Presenters were great and format was spot on- nice mix of theory & practice. Very refreshing to hear from industry specialists with lots of knowledge to share.”
“The training was set out very well and was very interactive and not just sitting about reading or looking at a PowerPoint. I feel that I learned things that I hadn't thought about before.”
This event is currently FULL, if you would like to be added to the waitlist please email Sofia on email@example.com.
This event is free for Alliance members. If you are not currently a member, and wish to book a place, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.