Using video to tell your story - Comms for Programme Staff
Friday, 24th August 2018
Location: Edinburgh Training and Conference Venue, 16 St Mary's Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1SU
Video is to become 80 per cent of the internet by 2019, and a glance at Facebook and Twitter will show that not to be an empty prediction.
As technology improves, so does the device in our hand. Pretty much all smartphones sold after 2014 can shoot broadcast-quality footage.
What does this mean for international development? Are programme staff and comms teams visiting partners overseas equipped with the right skills and equipment to tell their stories?
We know that as a sector, it is more important than ever that we communicate the work we doing and the stories of its beneficiaries, more often and better.
Video is a means to do just that by reaching new audiences and bringing case studies to life.
This training event will give you the big picture of where video sits and how people are using it.
Dan Slee (comms2point0 co-founder, former journalist and comms person) and Steven Davies (TV cameraman and academic) will lead you through a day-long workshop to give you the confidence to draft strategy, plan, shoot, edit and post effective video.
You'll need an android or ios smartphone or tablet. (nb. Windows and blackberries aren't up to spec.)
We'll look at:
- Where video sits in the wider comms landscape.
- How to get the most out of your device while shooting.
- How to plan an effective video.
- How to avoid 'poverty porn' and empower and enlist beneficiaries to help tell their story.
- How to shoot a basic interview with edits and cutaways.
- How to add text, music and filters.
- Where to find royalty-free music and stay on the right side of GDPR.
- What best practice video looks like.
- What the optimum length of a video is channel-by-channel.
This event is free for Alliance members. If you are not currently a member, and wish to book a place, please contact Sarah@intdevalliance.scot .